[Gdal-dev] How to read geotiff file using GDAL

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Mar 5 12:08:44 EST 2008

> How can I read geotiff file format using GDAL

This is described in the GDAL API Tutorial here:
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html

 > and can I convert them to shapfile format ???

This is generally not possible as geotiff (raster) and shape (vectors)
are entirely different data structures. The method Frank mentioned for
generating contours from elevation data is here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/apps/gdal_contour.cpp
For more general info on Raster to Vector conversion see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_to_vector

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,