[gdal-dev] Question about NITF CADRG data file extensions.

Martin Chapman mchapman at texelinc.com
Tue Mar 11 12:10:39 EDT 2008

Daniele,

The RPF specification is MILSTD-2411 which has a couple of addendums and all
can be found at http://earth-info.nga.mil/publications/specs/ .  The basic
structure of an RPF file is a root directory named RPF which contains a file
named a.toc which means "Table of Contents".  That file is a database of
boundaries and frames files that make up the various images within the RPF
file.  The boundaries constitute a group of adjacent frame files that
together make a scene or image.  Each frame file is 1536 x 1536 pixels and
is formatted as an NITF file.  The frame files live within or below the RPF
directory in other directories and the file name is a key that denotes the
series, scale, zone and other information.  If you cannot open the frame
files because your viewer wants an .ntf extension, just change the extension
to .ntf and it will open in your viewer.  Then RPF is split into two types,
Compressed Arc Digital Raster Graphics (CADRG) and Controlled Image Base
(CIB).  The first is a vector map that has one band and a color table where
the second is a one band gray scale image.  The main file you should be
opening is always a.toc and then you should use the toc to retrieve whatever
boundary and frame info you want.  The toc has the file paths for each of
the frames files for a given boundary.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Martin Chapman