[gdal-dev] Question about NITF CADRG data file extensions.

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Mar 11 14:57:16 EDT 2008

Daniele,

From GDAL 1.5.0, there is a RPFTOC driver that can read the A.TOC file and
reports a list of subdatasets. These subdatasets can then be opened with GDAL
and they'll provide the list of frame files in metadata. See
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#RPFTOC.

To answer exactly to your question, you can have a look at the
frmts/nitf/nitffile.c file in the GDAL source tree, in particularly the
array 'nitfSeries' at the end of the file. The first column gives the first 2
letters of the possible extensions. If you add as the third character the
figures from 1 to 9 (corresponding to the 9 ARC zones), you'll have all the
possible extensions.  So you have .gn1 to .gn9, .on1 to .on9, .jn1
to .jn9, .tp1 to .tp9, .jg1 to .jg9, .ja1 to .ja9, .tl1 to .tl9, etc... (from
my experience, these are the extensions that'll cover 90% of the typical
available CADRG products)