[gdal-dev] Create occurance dataset

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Wed Mar 12 10:32:38 EDT 2008

I need to create an occurrence vector dataset from an existing point
dataset.  The original dataset is in GCS WGS84 so it does not lend it
self to finding all of the points within a 1 km cell.  The dataset is
worldwide coverage of MODIS fire data so projecting into a single UTM
zone won't work well either.  My current plan is to use OGR to transform
the WGS84 data into a projected worldwide spatial reference system.

Before I tackle this I wanted to know:

if there is already a built in method I have not found to "bin" (sort
into 1km cells) geospatial data and

if this method makes sense and

if someone has a fast algorithm to do the data bin operation

Bruce