[gdal-dev] Building with SEH

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 12 11:51:31 EDT 2008

Chris Howell wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. You raise an a good point and I suspect that
> it is indeed a null pointer. However my issue is with an application
> built on top of GDAL if this is an issue now. I can fix this one off
> issue in the OGR commit my changes back and all is well. However the
> users of my company's application aren't going to understand that the
> file is corrupted and the file driving engine, developed by a third
> party, they're going to see a crash as something wrong with software.
> They may or may not comment on every file they can't open or every crash
> that happens. My experience is they will not. Fixing this one issue is
> good and I am all to happy to do it. However in general it's not as
> robust of an error handling scheme as we need to have in our
> application. Therefore I still think it's better to make use of
> Structured Exception Handling. Which allows us my company the most
> robust error handling scheme that we can provide and saves our face when
> our users are using the software.

Chris,

It is clearly desirable to offer robust error recovery for GDAL.  But I'm
not at all clear on the terms you are using.  Is SEH just normal C++
exceptions?  Does this term mean something special?  Is this some special
way of handling things that would normally trigger crashes, like accessing
through a NULL pointer?