[gdal-dev] Shapefile OGR question/concern

Christiaan Janssen cjanssen at iavo-rs.com
Wed Mar 12 15:48:00 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I'm having an issue with the Shapefile driver within OGR. When exporting data from an OGRDataset to a shapefile I'm required to add an additional "closing point" (ie repeat the first point at the end) for the resultant shapefile to be correctly recognized in other viewers (I realize the shapefile spec calls for this). The problem is that other formats do not require this closing point (eg KML) and adding the additional point results in additional point being written to the outputted file, not what I would believe to be correct. It would seem then that depending on my output I would have to reformat my data, seemling defeating the purpose of having an interfaced method library like OGR. Am I incorrect in my assumption and/or is there another intended way to do this correctly.

Christiaan