[gdal-dev] HDF5 1.8? DAP 3.8?

Javier Urien javierurien+gdal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:01:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Lucena, Ivan <ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com> wrote:
> Javier,
>
>  Never mind. I've got it. I downloaded the binaries for VC2005 and added
>  the flag to frmts\hdf5\makefile.vc and it is seams to be working.

good to hear that!

The only problem is that this driver is slow.

>  One question:
>
>  Since the HDF5 driver is read-only, do you know of any free tool that
>  converts from bigtiff (or other GDAL big raster container) to HDF5?

No, I didn't even know that the HDF5 driver was read only =)

I believe that libhdf5 has methods to create files, it should be a
matter of implementing the GDAL methods passing it to libhdf.

I am currently modifying the HDF5 driver, still very little (optimized
reads using the chunk size), next is georreference, but if I find time
I will try to get into the writing thing...

Regards.