[gdal-dev] Google SoC idea...

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:34:18 EDT 2008

Yes Ivan,

was not sure about who could be doing it even, it was just an idea about
improving KDE thumbnail for GIS, since gdal_translate has it already it
should be just few code away though.

About the RS image display, gdal_translate outputs nice PNGs, we can tell
easily if data is landsat (number of bands) and make a standard false colour
composite (FCC) by selecting bands 4,3,2 for RGB.
For AVHRR: 4,2,1 for RGB. Well, maybe use the metadata to tell us what
satellite and what are the band representing, and then make FCC.

Could also have world countries, major rivers, (degree grid?) etc vectors
overlaid on the fly while creating the thumbnail...

Just sending out ideas.....
Yann