[gdal-dev] Re: gdalwarp -co COMPRESSION issues

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Fri Mar 14 15:42:14 EDT 2008

Jukka Rahkonen pisze:
> Maciej Sieczka <tutey <at> o2.pl> writes:

> About BigTIFF, I guess that the error will perhaps not happen if you ask
> gdalwarp to use it by adding -co BigTIFF=yes.

Right. I forgot it.

Anyway, it still holds true that gdalwarp produces compressed rasters
several times bigger than gdal_translate.

For example - fetch this RGB 290 MB ortophoto tile. It's an RGB (3
8-byte bands) GeoTIFF - nothing fancy [1].

It was created with gdal_translate -co "COMPRESS=LZW". It's size is
303714237 bytes.

Process it with gdalwarp -co "COMPRESS=LZW" - it becomes 1443573134
bytes big, ie. nearly 5 times bigger. Even about 3 times bigger than the
same raster without any compression!

Worse ratios happen, depending on your data. When can we expect this
issue to be fixed?

[1]http://www.biol.uni.wroc.pl/sieczka/udostepnione/M-33-21-A-b-4.tif

Using GDAL 1.5.1 + SVN r14009.

Maciek