[gdal-dev] Google SoC idea...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Mar 15 09:53:23 EDT 2008

Yann Chemin wrote:
> could it be possible to make konqueror/dolphin for example, automatically
> create a thumbnail of RS images and GIS covers through GDAL?

 From technical point of view, I don't see any problems. You can
use GDAL as any other imaging library to generate thumbnails of image
content, translate to png/jpeg buffers as formats that can be rendered
by Konqueror.

The only question is about usability of such thumbnail
preview for GIS imagery. Though, if you accept that for some
datasets/formats preview won't make much sense, then you are fine.

By the way, in Total Commander application there is a nice idea of
listeners (viewers) for various data formats (you select file/data and
press F3 to get fast view of data content).
Here is example of such plugin for vector data:

http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/GisLister.html

I don't know KDE very well, but perhaps Konqueror (or Krusader) supports
similar plugins. If it does, what about implementing listener for
GDAL/OGR data formats instead of datasets thumbnailing?

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net