[gdal-dev] gdalwarp : how many gcp's for -order n?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 16:16:56 EDT 2008

WolfgangZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that I've seen it somewhere but I cannot find it any more, can
> anyone tell me how many gcp's are needed for transform of order n? How
> does -tps work, any literature reference about that option?

Wolfgang,

  * Note that 2nd order requires at least 6 GCPs, and 3rd order requires at
  * least 10 gcps.  If nReqOrder is 0 the highest order possible with the
  * provided gcp count will be used.

  * The GDAL Thin Plate Spline transformer is based on code provided by
  * Gilad Ronnen on behalf of VIZRT Inc (http://www.visrt.com).  Incorporation
  * of the algorithm into GDAL was supported by the Centro di Ecologia Alpina
  * (http://www.cealp.it).

I don't have any other info on the TPS algorithm.