[gdal-dev] Why is the nearest neighbour resampling method the "worst interpolation"?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Mar 22 07:23:06 EDT 2008

Dear gdal-developers,

in man gdalwarp:

" -rn: Use nearest neighbour resampling (default, fastest algorithm,
worst interpolation quality). "

If I understand correct then the nearest neighbour method is the best to
choose in order to preserve initial pixel values for thematic data.

Question(s): Why is it identified as "worst"?

Wouldn't the nn be a better choice for satellite imagery (in my case
MODIS surf. reflectance values) that is intented to be segmented/
classified or just upscaled (e.g. from 500m pix.size bands to 250m
pix.size) later?

Thank you in advance,

Nikos