[Gdal-dev] TMS driver -- Google SoC Proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 09:50:28 EDT 2008

> keo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a student interested in working on TMS tiled maps driver for GDAL as
>> a part of the Google SoC. As suggested by Frank, I created a new page on
>> the wiki (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCTMSDriver) with the
>> proposal and extended the existing SoCProjects page with a link.
>> Comments are welcomed.

Keo,

The project looks good.  I'd like to see TMS read/write support working
by mid-term, and then adding http fetch, some optimization and other
sophisticated features after that.  It would also be desirable, but
optional, if your work could support some of the new features that
Klokan discusses in the GDAL2Tiles upgrade project he proposes if that
works out.

Actually, thinking about http, I feel this may start to blur the line
between this driver and the WMS driver which I suspect supports TMS.
So I don't know how much of a priority this would be.

I would be prepared to mentor this project.