[gdal-dev] Why is the nearest neighbour resampling method the "worst interpolation"?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Mar 28 23:10:46 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:26 +0100, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
[...]
> I will report in case I find something useful trying out the different
> methods to interpolate the SRTM3 data. But this depends also on the area
> (the topography) I think.

Just reporting back:

I am going through a series of resampling tests. Not for elevation data
but for smoothing MOD09 images.

On a subset, South Greece, I tried nn, bilinear, cubic and cubic spline
at 250, 200, 150 and 100 m for smoothing a  MOD09GQ and the MOD09GQ
image of the same acquisition date (at 500, 250, 200, 150, 100m).

Although I don't have any statistical measure to proove it, I "see" that
the best method for smoothing these images ( Blue, Green, Red and NIR
bands) is cubic resampling. Bilinear and Cubic Spline look too blurred.

BTW:
Is there any statistical method to evaluate this?

Kind regards,

Nikos