[gdal-dev] Why is the nearest neighbour resampling method the " worst interpolation "?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 14:40:09 EDT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 13:26 +0100, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I will report in case I find something useful trying out the different
> > methods to interpolate the SRTM3 data. But this depends also on the area
> > (the topography) I think.
>
> Just reporting back:
>
> I am going through a series of resampling tests. Not for elevation data
> but for smoothing MOD09 images.
>
> On a subset, South Greece, I tried nn, bilinear, cubic and cubic spline
> at 250, 200, 150 and 100 m for smoothing a  MOD09GQ and the MOD09GQ
> image of the same acquisition date (at 500, 250, 200, 150, 100m).
>
> Although I don't have any statistical measure to proove it, I "see" that
> the best method for smoothing these images ( Blue, Green, Red and NIR
> bands) is cubic resampling. Bilinear and Cubic Spline look too blurred.
>
> BTW:
> Is there any statistical method to evaluate this?

The smoothing that you are seeing can be attributed to a general term
called "change of support".

To quantify the effect you can compute summary statistics for the original
data (the cell values only) i.e. mean, median, range, IRQ, min, max, etc.
Also- an "empirical cumulative distribution function" plot can be helpful
here.

Next, compute these stats for each resolution, and for each interp method--
compare them.

r.resamp.stats in GRASS 6.3 is useful for this.

Cheers,

Dylan

> Kind regards,
>
> Nikos