[gdal-dev] KMZ Support in OGR?

Christopher Condit condit at sdsc.edu
Sat Mar 29 16:04:10 EDT 2008

Thought I should chime in with a couple of thoughts here:
*) Google's libkml is not yet production ready
*) Once the KML 2.2 spec is approved by OGC I expect it to be rather
stable, so I'm not sure that switching to libkml for an evolving
standard is really going to buy OGR much.
*) It would probably be trivial to add kmz support, but as Brian
suggested why not just pipe the file to a zip command?

In my mind, OGR has always been about feature data, and less about
formatting. KML is inherently about formatting. It strikes me that the
KML output driver is doing its job just fine. OGR does not make use of
many KML features aside from the geometries. All the camera angles, etc,
are of no concern. If anything, I think time should be spent developing
example xsl scripts to add formatting to OGR KML (I'll try and post some
examples to the wiki later) and enhancing the reader support. There's no
reason that the existing read driver can't do its job just slightly
better...

And as Joel Spolsky says:

-Chris