[gdal-dev] KMZ Support in OGR?

Michael Ashbridge mtj.ashbridge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 02:58:37 EDT 2008

All,

I'm one of the authors of libkml. I'm more than happy to answer any
questions you have.

To address some issues from the thread:

- We chose the BSD license specifically to ensure maximum
compatibility with as many other licenses as possible, and to allow
maximum possible flexibility of use.

- By itself zlib doesn't buy you zipfile/kmz support. We use the
contributed minizip code. Our KMZ support right now is minimal. As
Christopher hints, KMZ is more than just a zip-archive KML file. In
the coming weeks and months, we'll flesh out (in code) precisely what
"kmz support" really means.

- Indeed, as it says in our documentation, v0.1 is not intended for
use in production – although I would encourage everyone to experiment
and comment.

- Michael