[gdal-dev] updates on masking raster data

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:54:04 EDT 2008

On Friday 02 May 2008, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > anyone know if there has been any work related to this ticket:
> >
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1599
> >
> > I was hoping to mask out a large section of raster data while warping, or
> > possibly in a second-pass with gdal_translate or the like.
>
> Dylan,
>
> gdal_rasterize can mask off areas of a raster inside or outside of a
> polygon. Other than that, nothing has been done to the best of my
> knowledge.
>
> Best regards.

thanks for the tip Frank. I actually need to "clip" out (or apply a positive
mask when translating) a single state's worth of data, from a grid that
encompasses the Continental US. I was hoping there was a purely GDAL-way to
do this... without having to resort to GRASS for the raster clipping. Perhaps
there is a way to do this in python+GDAL...

Cheers,

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette