[Gdal-dev] Managed GDAL API (CSharp) - Writing Bitmap to Dataset

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Sat May 3 08:43:45 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the opposite way of what GdalReadDirect.cs does,
copying a bitmap back into the instantiated Dataset. Is there any example
related to it?

Here's what I'm trying to do - since GDAL doesn't support raster filters
(i.e. Sharpen, Contrast, etc...) I'm using managed library to perform series
of bitmap manipulations. Then I need to save changed bitmap back into the
existing or newly created in-memory dataset. This is the "workflow":

1) Use managed GDAL API to open raster image file (raster image usually
contains lots of metadata)
2) Leave instantiated Dataset object intact
3) Use direct-read method (as in GdalReadDirect.cs) to get the Bitmap object
out of the Dataset
4) Apply some filters over the Bitmap
5a) Write Bitmap back into the already instantiated Dataset, preserving
metadata structure, or...
5b) Write Bitmap into the newly instantiated Dataset
6) Use managed GDAL Dataset methods to write/flush raster to disk

I'm stuck with step 5). I'm also aware that step 5) would take some
additional resource-wasting but that's OK with me.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic