[gdal-dev] NITF API for GDAL based tools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 9 14:51:24 EDT 2008

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) wrote:
> hi list,
>
> One of my colleagues mentioned that General Dynamics AIS released some
> of their NITF API software to the opensource domain in March, calling it
> NITRO (http://nitro-nitf.sourceforge.net/).  This API is in use for
> General Dynamics' projects and having GDAL-based tools (e.g. OpenEV)
> being compatible with the products from the GD DoD applications would be
> desirable.
>
> Is there any current effort in the GDAL community to build NITRO into
> GDAL?

Shawn,

I'm not aware of any effort to use this with GDAL yet.  I have subscribed
to the mailing list, and downloaded the source for a quick skim.

I'd guess it would be fairly easy to implement a NITRO-NITF driver on their
library for GDAL.  It is less clear to me what the advantages of this would
be.  For the time being I'll keep this library in mind as a source of example
code, and cross checking for NITF issues.

I see the code is LGPL, so I can't really crib any of it directly for GDAL.
But this is no barrier to using the library for an alternate driver.