[gdal-dev] Large NITF file performance problems

Jason Beverage jasonbeverage at gmail.com
Tue May 13 12:21:15 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've got a customer who is using large NITF files (~1.5 GB) and is seeing
ridiculously slow load times in our application.  I don't have access to his
data, so I can't test directly, but it seems like the NITF driver may have
some issues with large file sizes (> 1GB).

To test on my end, I created a few different GeoTiff files (600 MB, 800 MB,
and 1.2 GB) and tried to convert them to NITF using gdal_translate.
Converting the 600 and 800 MB files worked just fine and had very reasonable
speed (few minutes).  However, when I tried to use gdal_translate on the 1.2
GB file, the process hung at 0% for forever and I had to kill it after
waiting for a very long time.  It seems as if there is something magical
about this 1 GB boundary.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what could be causing this
issue?

Thanks!

Jason