[gdal-dev] creating multi banded imagery

Matt Klaric matt at diglib1.cecs.missouri.edu
Tue May 13 16:22:39 EDT 2008

> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 18:50:43 -0600
> From: Jared Rubin <JARED.RUBIN at saic.com>
> Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] creating multi banded imagery
> To: "Lucena, Ivan" <ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com>
> Cc: gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Ivan,
> understood. i already tried NITF.
> But i would expect that the gdal driver has some basic driver format that
> allows for unlimited number of bands.

Check out the Erdas Imagine (aka HFA) format.  It allows for an
arbitrary number of bands and doesn't have a file size limit. While, I'm
sure there is a limit, we've used images that have 14 bands. Also,
there's no file size limit that comes along with some other formats.
(Although, for images greater than 2GB, a spill file will be used.)

--Matt