[gdal-dev] Problem reprojecting Clark 1866 to UTM 34 South

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 19 11:28:49 EDT 2008

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I did some more trying and I found the following:
> If I convert it to a geotiff, it works, but to a .asc, it doesn't.
> Even converting the geotif to an .asc, it changes from PROJCS["WGS 84
> / UTM zone 34S" to PROJCS["WGS 84 / UTM zone 34N" (output below).
>
> Can somebody confirm that as a bug?

Rainer,

I would note that even though you are converting to a file with the
extension .asc with commands like the following, it is still producing a
GeoTIFF.

 > gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66 +no_defs' -t_srs '+proj=utm
+zone=34 +south +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs' hak_ser2.asc
hak_ser2_utm34.tif

I believe your problem is related to lack of the epsg support files since you
don't mention having a /usr/local/share/epsg_csv directory.