[gdal-dev] ogrinfo on JOINed layer empty

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon May 19 15:40:50 EDT 2008

While testing some connections for a Mapserver map file, I'm finding
that ogrinfo is not showing any info (layers, fields, features) on
JOINed layers.

A connection that works in Mapserver:

CONNECTION "/"
DATA "SELECT * FROM some_shapefile LEFT JOIN
'MYSQL:some_database
,host=localhost,user=some_user,tables=some_table'.some_table ON
some_shapefile.id = some_table.id"

but in ogrinfo (on the Mapserver computer, so it's still local):

ogrinfo -al -so . "SELECT * FROM some_shapefile LEFT JOIN
'MYSQL:some_database
,host=localhost,user=some_user,tables=some_table'.some_table ON
some_shapefile.id = some_table.id"
INFO: Open of `.'
       using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.

It does not show any of the fields from the shapefile or the JOINed
MySQL table.  I get exactly the same output on a bad JOIN (or other
non-existent shapefile layer).

CPL_DEBUG=ON doesn't show any helpful debug messages, just (there are
5 shapefiles in the folder):

OGR: GetLayerCount() = 5

Any hints on how to get ogrinfo to show JOINed layer info?  I think
I've seen this work in the past.

GDAL 1.5.1, OSX, Mapserver 5.0.2.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro