[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr gml driver writing blob fields

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 29 15:41:55 EDT 2008

Attila Csipa wrote:
> I tried to convert some of my postgresql tables into GML (using ogr2ogr from
> gdal 1.5.1 on linux), but I've noticed something odd - the features in the
> table have a blob column (a small image representing the feature) have that
> column written down in hex notation (not a problem) and truncated at around
> 35 bytes (which is a problem). So, the question is if there is a way to tell
> the GML driver not to truncate these fields ? I've looked for some dsco/lco
> field magic in but without much luck... Any recommendations ?

Attila,

There is no mechanism to convert these to GML without adjustments to the
GML writer.  I imagine the driver is calling GetFieldAsString() which
for blobs returns the truncated result you are seeing.  It is intended to
give some human readable clues about the BLOB while not overwhelming the
output in applications like ogrinfo.

If we implemented specific binary field support in the GML driver this
could be corrected.

However, I'm not personally in a big rush to implement this feature.  I'm
not sure if anyone would pick it up if you filed a ticket.