[gdal-dev] Re: Gdal Bug? was: Re: JP2MRSID Issues

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Nov 13 16:48:18 EST 2008

Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri <at> swoodbridge.com> writes:

> > PPS.  I don't understand your point where you seem to suggest that
> > converting
> > to tiff first is slower than other mechanisms.  Are you suggesting it takes
> > 2-3 hours to convert a 500MB jpeg2000 image to GeoTIFF?  Perhaps you need
> > to up your GDAL block cache size?
>
> Yes, this is exactly my problem it is taking 2-3 hours to run:
>
> GDAL_SKIP=JPEG2000 gdal_translate my.jp2 -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 my.tif

Hi,

There is absolutely something basically wrong.  For that little files conversion
to GeoTIFF should take perhaps 5 minutes.  Try skipping more drivers and see how
Kakadu driver performs.  If you want to know how fast it can be, download Kakadu
win32 executables from www.kakadusoftware.com and measure how long it takes to
expand your images to GeoTIFFs with kdu_expand.