[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL encounters problem with very small files

Matthieu Rigal rigal at rapideye.de
Fri Nov 14 04:21:43 EST 2008

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response.
I made the error of mixing one gdal_utility question and a Python-GDAL binding
question.

The problem I am encountering with gdal_translate and gdalinfo with these very
little files only happens when I am working on very small images. Else, it is
working well.
And I use these utilities from the shell, so it should have nothing to do with
Python.
But as I told you, I have only the version 1.4.2 installed here...

On the other hand I have problems with the Python piece of code I have copied,
so I just wanted to know if I forgot something in these simple data copying
code. I will look for that, thanks.

So for the first problem, I will try it again  on other configurations, with
GDAL 1.5.3 or 1.6 beta and maybe with different libtiff versions...
If you still have other ideas, tell me ;)

Best regards,
Matthieu

On Thursday 13 November 2008 18:13:17 you wrote:
> Matthieu Rigal wrote:
> > Hi all, hi Frank,
> >
> > I am encountering problem with gdal_translate and gdalinfo with very
> > little images. I have for example a 9*16 pixels image, georeferenced,
> > 16bits and 8bits, that I have tested in 2 formats : .pix PCIDSK and .tif
> > GTiff.
> >
> > And both times, I get errors :
> > gdal_translate: symbol lookup error: gdal_translate: undefined symbol:
> > GDALValidateCreationOptions
> > gdalinfo: symbol lookup error: gdalinfo: undefined symbol:
> > GDALGetFileList
> >
> > I have attached both tif files in 8bits and 16 bits, with the hope it
> > will help. Notice that these images can be open by software like QGis or
> > PCI Geomatica...
> >
> > If you have any ideas or if it is a known bug... let me know !
>
> Matthieu,
>
> I tried gdalinfo on the files and it worked fine.  Your Python looked fine.
>
> The error messages seem to indicate an inappropriate mixture of versions.
> Presumably recent Python bindings that are trying to pick up an older
> version of GDAL lacking some modern entry points.  Does the same
> configuration work fine with larger TIFF files?
>
> Best regards,

RapidEye AG
Molkenmarkt 30
14776 Brandenburg an der Havel
Germany

Head Office/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Brandenburg an der Havel
Management Board/Vorstand: Wolfgang G. Biedermann
Chairman of Supervisory Board/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Axel Schmalz
Commercial Register/Handelsregister Potsdam HRB 17 796
Tax Number/Steuernummer: 048/100/00053
VAT-Ident-Number/Ust.-ID: DE 199331235
DIN EN ISO 9001 certified

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte
E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

The information in this e-mail is intended for the named recipients
only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
have received this communication in error, any use, copying or
dissemination of its contents is strictly prohibited. Please erase all
copies of the message along with any included attachments and notify
RapidEye AG or the sender immediately by telephone at the number
indicated on this page.