[gdal-dev] Does OGR library supports ESRI file geodatabase?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 25 09:51:47 EST 2008

Darius Jocius wrote:
> Hi,
> I checked the supported format list and find that OGR library supports
> ESRI Personal GeoDatabase format. What about ESRI File GeoDatabase
> (older format of ESRI GeoDatabase)? Is there any way to read it
> without any ESRI tools?

Darius,

ESRI File Geodatabase is a newer format than personal geodatabases.
Currently file geodatabase is not supported by OGR as the format is
not published, and is hard to reverse engineer.  We have reason to hope
that in the coming years ESRI will provide an open access mechanism for
file geodatabase as they have indicated an intention to do so. But that is
unlikely to help you in the short term.

I'd suggest having someone with arcgis convert the file geodatabase to
another easier to access format like shapefiles or even personal geodatabase.