[gdal-dev] GDAL block cache question

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Thu Oct 9 21:37:35 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 11:32 -0700, Christopher Barker wrote:
> > "Luke Roth" <roth.luke at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> >> wxWidgets for the GUI.  While I'm developing in Windows, the only
> >> dependencies so far are wxWidgets and GDAL, so it should cross-compile
> >> on Linux pretty easily.  As for the target imagery, I'm looking at
> >> pretty large aerial and satellite images (DOQQs, MODIS tiles), which
>
> Did you take a look at OSSIM? At some point in the past, they were
> wx-based, though I don't know what they are up to now.

It seams like they switched to qt. I know it is possible to find a lot
of references on the web where wx, qt, gtk, even Tcl/TK are compared.
But I am wondering if there is some Geospatial reason to pick qt instead
of wx.

> Have you considered wxPython? It may be that your core image processing
> would need some C/C++, but there is no reason that the whole GUI has to
> be written in C++ (at at least no performance reason).

wxPython is awesome. I wich they where around 10 years when I used
Tcl/TK on a project, a diagram editor for map algebra. That project
could be alive until today. :(

Some time I wish that OpenEv could use wxPython instead of python+TK. I
like OpenEv and I use it a lot, but it is hard to introduce it to end
users. "wx" produce much better results in term of adapting to the look
and feel of the hosting platform than Tk.

> That would be great. If you have a component that can deal with images
> loaded with GDAL, and convert them to wxBitmaps or wxImages, or... I"d
> be very interested. Particularly if those components were (or could be )
> wrapped for wxPython.

I completely agree with Chris.

Ivan