[gdal-dev] Creating Google map tiles with gdal2tiles.py

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Tue Oct 14 05:48:36 EDT 2008

Hi Roger,

> I'm curious if anyone has succesfully used gdal2tiles.py to create Google
> Map tiles?  It seems to work very well at creating KML superoverlays, but I
> have not been able to get Map tiles that are positioned correctly with it.
> I have tried it against imagery that is in EPSG:4326, as well as in
> EPSG:900913.  In both cases I get strange results which seem to indicate
> some sort of SRS weirdness.

Answer is: generation of Google Maps tiles is possible, but not
available yet in the GDAL trunk version. I am working on merging now.
In the new version of gdal2tiles you don't need to reproject your
raster in advance, as the utility itself is doing the reprojection.

Please check the archive of the gdal-dev conference. Search
"gdal2tiles" and "maptiler".

Klokan