[gdal-dev] gdal and python problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 15 10:43:47 EDT 2008

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Thank you very much - problem solved. There was an indeed an old version
> of libgdal around (gdal1.5.2 - also self-compiled under /usr/local/lib)
>
> The strange thing is that the svn trunk version reports as older
> (libgdal.so.1.12.0) even if it is newer than gdal1.5.2, which reports as
> libgdal.so.1.12.2

Andreas,

This is because the svn versioning information for shared libraries is
not normally "set" until release time (ie. 1.6.0) so it is basically just
a clone of what it was for 1.5.0 release time.

I could bump the version now in svn but I will almost certainly forget
I did so at 1.6.0 release and bump it again.  I suppose version inflation
isn't really a terrible thing.  I'll go ahead and do that.