[gdal-dev] Problem with image overview creation in GTiff files

Ozy Sjahputera sjahputerao at missouri.edu
Thu Oct 16 17:03:29 EDT 2008

I am trying to create image overviews for a GTiff file using
GDALDataset::BuildOverviews. I keep getting various errors such as:

ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "Compression" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "ImageWidth" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag
"PlanarConfiguration" while writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "BitsPerSample"
while writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "SamplesPerPixel"
while writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "Compression" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag
"PhotometricInterpretation" while writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "SampleFormat" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "TileWidth" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFSetField:VISUAL.tif: Cannot modify tag "TileLength" while
writing
ERROR 1: TIFFBuildOverviews:Can not write tiles to a stripped image

Here is my code:

    int OverviewList[5] = { 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 };
    CPLErr overview_err = outDS->BuildOverviews( "AVERAGE_MAGPHASE", 5,
OverviewList, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL );

I have used BuildOverviews before on HFA images and they are fine. Any idea?

Thanks
Ozy