[gdal-dev] he5 is not a supported format?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 21 10:39:06 EDT 2008

Becker, Thomas wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I followed your advice to check if the driver is in place and you are right.
> The FWTools I am running do not include HDF5. However, I do not run the
> FWTools on a Windows machine but on Linux Suse 9. So I was wondering why the
> Linux version 2.0.6 of the FWTools (according to
> http://fwtools.maptools.org/ the current release) does not support HDF5?

Thomas,

It is just a omission.  HDF5 can work fine on linux.  Unfortunately, I'm
not in a position to produce new Linux FWTools releases at this time so I can't
easily correct this.

> When i was installing the FWTools there is only the install.sh which I used
> and the README.1ST. In the README.1ST HDF support is mentioned, but
> something went wrong.

The linux version does support HDF4.

> Frank, maybe you can help me out once again!
>
> I am also willing to run the FWTools on a Windows machine, but do I have the
> HDF driver at Windows or do I have to compile the driver on Windows with the
> VisualStudio archives from the HDF Group?

The FWTools for windows (recent release) already includes HDF5 so you shouldn't
need to compile anything if you just wanted to use gdal_translate or other
existing tools.