[gdal-dev] Build OGR with ESRI SDE

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 23 10:19:41 EDT 2008

Mullins, Steven wrote:
> I am interested in using OGR to read data from an ArcSDE (9.2-9.3) database.
> The manual page at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sde.html indicates that GDAL
> must be compiled "with the ESRI provided ArcSDE client libraries".
>
> Before I sink a lot a time into this, can anyone share their experience
> compiling OGR with ESRI libraries for SDE?  What specific steps need to be
> taken to accomplish this?

Steve,

On linux this boils down to setting one or both of:

   --with-sde=DIR        Include ESRI SDE support (DIR is SDE's install dir).
   --with-sde-version=VERSION NUMBER  Set ESRI SDE version number (Default is 80)

when configuring.  On Windows setting of:

#SDE_ENABLED = YES
#SDE_VERSION=91
#SDE_PLUGIN = NO
#SDE_SDK = C:\arcgis\arcsde
#SDE_INC = $(SDE_SDK)\include
#SDE_LIB = $(SDE_SDK)\lib\pe$(SDE_VERSION).lib \
#          $(SDE_SDK)\lib\sde$(SDE_VERSION).lib
$(SDE_SDK)\lib\sg$(SDE_VERSION).lib

in gdal/nmake.opt

I'd appreciate someone setting up a topic on SDE under:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints

if interesting information is collected.