[gdal-dev] Build OGR with ESRI SDE

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Thu Oct 23 17:32:09 EDT 2008

Steve:
  One word of caution is to make sure you build all of the supporting
modules (expat, xerces, geos etc) in the same mode.  I spent
considerable time over that past week chasing bizarre crashes that gave
heap errors and other crashes down in Microsoft space only to find that
one of the lower level modules pulled in msvcp80.dll (or something
similar and the other modules pulled in the debug version of the same
file.

I don't know how ESRI gets GDAL.dll to run on all systems unless they
include files from the c++ redistribution patch in their installation
because in addition to the above headaches I also have to apply a
Microsoft patch to the computers to get even the most basic GDAL program
(like gdalinfo) to run.  It will run where the compiler is but when you
are ready to distribute the program it must be built in release mode and
the patch must go on.

If you also intend to create a c# application to work with ESRI code
make sure your OGR c# code is built with the same execution mode.  Other
than a few headaches like the above you can merge GDAL and ArcObjects
together to get visualization and speed.  Let the GDAL/OGR code do the
heavy lifting and the ArcObjects code do the rest.

Ok, so it was a bit more than one word of caution.

Bruce