[gdal-dev] gdal error 4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 13:26:56 EDT 2008

Christian Willmes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the gdal Installation on our webserver. I'm new to
> gdal, to be specific I try to get some raster data into mapserver, but
> there occours the following error according gdal and I could not find
> anything what helped me out on google and other mailinglists.
>
> I get the following Error when I try to access data with gdal:
> <--------
> cwillmes at lvr18$ gdalinfo SRTM_Elevation.tif
> ERROR 4: `SRTM_Elevation.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> GDALOpen failed - 4
> `SRTM_Elevation.tif' not recognised as a supported file format.

Christian,

I would carefully review permissions to see if that might be the issue.
I have stepped through the code and confirmed this is the sort of error
you get if you don't have read permissions on a file.  You might want to
file a ticket on this, so we can improve the reporting of errors related
to permissions.