[gdal-dev] gdal in ESRI products

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:15:13 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Lucena, Ivan <ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> Basically all ERSI products are using GDAL since 9.2.
>
> http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Supported_raster_dataset_file_formats
>
> And they keep using it in 9.3:
>
> http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?id=3005&pid=3004&topicname=Supported_raster_data_file_types
>
> It is embedded on ArcObject so even if you write your own ArcObject code to deal with Idrisi RST files, for example, you don't need to think about what is going own under the hood. But there are some formats on the list above that they are not supporting through GDAL but by their own code, GeoTiff, img, so I don't think they are supporting Bigtiff yet. Are they?
>
> There was one request started on a discussion on gdal-dev that ESRI should release a free downloadble version of their gdal_i.lib so that programmers would be able to develop driver as GDAL plugins. That is because they added some stuff on the library that makes it binary incompatible with regular GDAL plugins. They were very receptive to the request and we are waiting...
>
> What more do you want to know?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ivan

Thanks Ivan and Sophia. So ESRI is using GDAL/OGR for some raster
formats, any idea about vector use? And does anyone know if ESRI has
contributed code or money to GDAL?

I am preparing a presentation on Open Source Geospatial software for a
regional ESRI users group. (I don't use ESRI software much, but I
can't make it to Cape Town and I need some continuing education
credits...)

Thanks,
Rich

--