[Gdal-dev] Attaching Text Files in NITF driver

Radeus troy at radeuslabs.com
Fri Sep 5 12:24:49 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

> Radeus wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm new to GDAL and have not been able to find any information on whether
>> the NITF driver allows you to attach a text file (text segment) to the
>> NITF
>> file on Create or CreateCopy. I have tried with no luck to either attach
>> or
>> read back a NITF file with Text Segments.
>> I have seen that the GDALPamDataset will create the aux.xml filler with
>> the
>> extra data when creating the NITF file, but the information is not
>> actually
>> writen to the NITF file itself.
>> I am currently using build 1.5.2 compiled on VC++ 7.1 for Windows.
>>
>> Is this simply not supported in the NITF driver?
>>
>> If it is not supported, how hard would it be to add this in to the
>> driver?
>
> Radeus,
>
> You are correct that the NITF driver does not currently support writing
> text segments.
>
> It would not be particularly hard to add.  That means it might take me
> 2-3 hours. Someone unfamiliar with the driver might require a day to get
> to a stable and safe result.
>
> Best regards,
> --

Frank,
Other than implementing the SetMetadata() and SetMetadataItem() in the
NITFDataset, what else should I look at changing. I know I should be writing
this information from the GDALMultiDomainMetadata in the destructor (or at
least that is what I think based on GTiff implementation) but I have not
figured out how. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards-