[gdal-dev] mask bands howto

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 10:50:59 EDT 2008

Vincent Schut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any up-to-date documentation/tutorial available on the recently
> added mask bands feature? I found
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc15_nodatabitmask, but I was hoping
> more on something like an api tutorial. The doxygen generated stuff all
> is empty for mask related functions...

Vincent,

Indeed, the RFC is the majority of the documentation. If you can file
a ticket on specific methods lacking documentation, I'll try and add it.

> Specifically, I'd like to know if it is possible to (using swig python)
> create a DS (gtiff), and then write boolean data into
> ds.GetRasterBand(1).GetMaskBand()? Or should I call CreateMaskBand
> first? This is not entirely clear to me...

Generally you will need to call CreateMaskBand().  The mask you
get back by default will likely be read-only (derived from nodata
values, or the special "all valid" mask).