[gdal-dev] mask bands howto

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Thu Sep 25 07:06:51 EDT 2008

Thanks for the info, both.

Major lesson: after ds creation, first close it, than open it GA_Update,
then CreateMaskBand().

Another question: it seems (geotiff, external) masks are of dtype byte?
So they are not *bit*masks and will use 8 times more space than strictly
required (when no compression is used)? I thought the tiff spec allowed
for 1-bit datatypes (mainly used for fax data probably)...
And, apart from the wasted space (I use compression anyway), I'd like to
know the mask value conventions. I mean, a pixel in a mask could have
values from 0-255, not? Which one is True (masked), which one is
False(unmasked)? 'Cause if I give it a bool numpy array to write to the
mask (using gdal_array), it complains about incompatible datatypes...

Cheers,
Vincent.