[Gdal-dev] Read and convert MSG2 hrit data with GDAL-MSG DRIVER

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Thu Apr 9 04:45:11 EDT 2009

Hi  APOSTOLOS

Looks like you could maybe leave out the brackets so

gdal_translate -of MSG(/home/tolis/Desktop/2003/06/05/H-000-MSG2__-MSG2_PAR____-WV_062___-000001___-200802281200-C_) /home/tolis/Desktop/output/outfile.tif

should be

gdal_translate -of MSG /home/tolis/Desktop/2003/06/05/H-000-MSG2__-MSG2_PAR____-WV_062___-000001___-200802281200-C_ /home/tolis/Desktop/output/outfile.tif

Am not sure about the file extension wrt the HRIT image but I think the brackets are whats causing the problem.

In regards to the batch processing of your 96 images, it seems you are working linux and should be able to write a fairly simple bash script to repeat the above command. I am not much of a bash scripter myself but I am sure you can find a tutorial on the net, check out the following for an introduction

http://wooledge.org:8000/BashFAQ#head-590f0a3ee41da32fb949a23423096437367343b0

http://db.glug-bom.org/Documentation/abs-guide/index.html

HTH,
WEsley

>>> APOSTOLOS <agiannas at geo.auth.gr> 04/09/09 10:24 AM >>>

Dear list

First all i would like to thank all the people in the list answered my questions. I finally managed to install MSG DRIVER but i have some questions about how to import and convert HRIT MSG2 images with GDAL

I followed the example of the instructions from http://www.gdal.org/frmt_msg.html but i did not manage  to convert HRIT to tif.

My code bellow

gdal_translate -of MSG(/home/tolis/Desktop/2003/06/05/H-000-MSG2__-MSG2_PAR____-WV_062___-000001___-200802281200-C_) /home/tolis/Desktop/output/outfile.tif
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
tolis at ubuntu:~/gdal-1.6.0$

Any suggestions what i am doing wrong?   Also what i realy want is to convert MSG2 HRIT thermal bands  for segments 7 and 8 to images to brightness temperatures. Because i have 96 images per day is there any batch process for this kind of procedure?
Does GDAL support this procedure?

Thanks in advance for your time