[gdal-dev] Problem in importing to Google Earth a nitf image converted from a tif image by gdal_translate

mohwawang mohwawang at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 11:37:23 EDT 2009

Roger,

I'm using Google Earth Pro 5.0. Thank you for the suggestions.

Google Earth Pro 4.0 also supports importing NITF:
http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_importdata.html that is for importing your data (including vector data and imagery data) to the Places of Google Earth while http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_imageoverlays.html is for "Using Image Overlays and 3D Models".

See http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_layers.html#layers_vs_places for the difference between Layers and Places in GE.

This is the first time I'm importing geo-referenced images to Google Earth Pro and so far I don't have much luck. As I said that I could not use GE to import the NITF images converted from gdal_translate (with EPSG:4326 that is the same projection, Simple Cylindrical projection, or known as Lat/Lon WGS84 that GE uses). So I tried to narrow down the problem. This time I imported to GE an native Erdas IMAGINE image (.img) (with UTM projection that GE supports too) but still failed. The later test case has nothing to do with gdal and is purely a question for GE. That .img image can be opened by both IMAGINE and OpenEV.

The NITF image (converted by gdal_translate) not just could not be opened by GE it could not be opened by ENVI 4.1 either. It can be opened by OpenEV (tightly related to gdal) though. So it could be a problem in either gdal_translate or ENVI (I doubt though) or both.

Thanks.

Mo