[gdal-dev] Re: Problem resampling with gdal_warp

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Apr 17 03:46:47 EDT 2009

darrepac <pascal.darre <at> laposte.net> writes:

> HEllo,
>
> I have a 45GB BIGTIFF file at 1m/pixel
> With gdal_warp I am trying to resample it to 2m/pixel.
> The process start but block at 0%.
> I have changed the lanczos resampling algo to cubic in order to go faster but
the status, after more than 2
> days of processing is still 0% and the output file is already at 46GB but no
more progressing

> Any clue of what I am doing wrong or if the input file is too big?
>
> thanks
> Pascal

Hi,

I made a quick test with these settings:
- 27 GB GeoTIFF image (size 72000 by 128000), 1 metre pixel size
- gdalwarp from FWTools 2.2.8
- Windows XP
- command: gdalwarp -tr 1000 1000 -rc 1m_test.tif 1000m_test.tif

It took 10 minutes to run and so far everything seemed to be OK.  But when I
changed resolution to -tr 2 2 gdalwarp really jammed.  Process started and used
all the processor time as usual, output tiff file was created, but after that
everyhing just stopped.  Processor load is zero and output tiff does not grow in
size.  The size of the output is 10240252 bytes and remains the same.

-Jukka Rahkonen-