[gdal-dev] Re: export mdb in shp

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:55:52 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Marco Puppin <puppingeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Paolo,
>
> oh yeah, your trik works!!!
> Perfectly, also the incriminated shape has been exported in all his
> geometries and data.
> Thanks so much, that was so easy, now i learned something..
> and if you write
>>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output.mdb input.mdb
> he write a folder named output with all the shapes insides...
> Hey, just another thing. I know there's so much on the web but I am looking
> for a pdf guide of FWTools or something downlodable, so I can print it and
> bring it home and study it there. Do you now if there is any???

Hi Marco
for exporting multiple GDB feature classes (from the same GDB) you
need to provide a folder name:
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" output_dir input.mdb

in output_dir there will be as many shapefiles as many feature classes
are in GDB.

If you need help about the command line utility (ogr2ogr, ogrinfo,
etc...) the best places to find documentation is here:
http://www.gdal.org/
I am not aware of pdf docs about this.
For more information about ogr2ogr command line, check out this
excellent doc by Regina Obe:
http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet#41

best regards!
Paolo