[gdal-dev] need suggestion on Linux OS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Apr 22 12:27:33 EDT 2009

Hi.

I suggest you look at OpenSuse. That's my preferred FOSS GIS platform for a few years now.

The guys that maintain the OpenSUuse GIS repository are really efficient & helpful. The couple of times I've wanted an updated package there I've emailed them & it's been done in a couple of days.

I've also compiled some from CVS, when I needed the very latest & haven't had any problems.

The repository (v11.1, 32 bit) is at:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_11.1/i586/

but it includes packages for other versions & other distros,
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/

Works well & I prefer running Suse to Debian variants... But both work & it's nice to have the choice.

Cheers,

   Brent wood