[gdal-dev] need suggestion on Linux OS

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 22 14:42:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Gong, Shawn (Contractor)
<Shawn.Gong at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I’d appreciate suggestions on Linux OS. We’d like to build newest gdal, as
> well as OpenEV2 using GTK2.
>
> Have tried CentOS. But it libraries seem too conservative.

I am (meanwhile) a long term Mandriva user meanwhile and all GEOS, PROJ, GDAL,
GRASS, e00conv, QGIS, Mapserver, PostGIS ... is in their distribution included:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandriva/devel/cooker/x86_64/media/contrib/release/Sciences_Geosciences.html

Mandriva has all necessary development tools to compile and all required
dependencies. And they send patches to the GRASS and GDAL project,
so feedback is there.

Markus