[gdal-dev] need suggestion on Linux OS

Peter Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 14:56:01 EDT 2009

As an institution, we prefer Fedora, although I have little experience of
it myself. It is widely supported by commercial applications, as well as
open source. I have built GDAL for Cygwin (not my primary platform, I
hasten to add!) with only issues surrounding Xerces that I have not been
able to resolve quickly and simply.

Whatever Linux you choose, you will likely have also to subscribe to one of
the application services or regularly pull and build new versions of your
libraries and tools - the versions shipped with the OS are rarely current -
simply because of the difficulty of keeping such distributions up to date.
Indeed, this is not confined to Linux - there are at least two such
services for Sun's Solaris, for example.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Apr 22 2009, Gong, Shawn (Contractor) wrote:

>hi list,
>
>I'd appreciate suggestions on Linux OS. We'd like to build newest gdal,
>as well as OpenEV2 using GTK2.
>Have tried CentOS. But it libraries seem too conservative.
>
>Is Fedora 9 a better choice?
>
>thanks,
>Shawn

Peter Halls, University of York GIS Advisor
Snail Mail: Computing Service, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, England
Telephone: 01904 433806   FAX: 01904 433740

This message has the status of a private & personal communication