[gdal-dev] New RFC - Fast Open - for discussion

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Apr 22 15:54:36 EDT 2009

Hi

Although I agree that the goal of fast opening is a good idea, as discussed on
IRC, I'm not sure we need this RFC for the current work plan it contains :
* listing the files in the directory can already be skipped by defining
GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN=YES. But perhaps this could benefit from the
mechanism of thread local configuration option
* for the GeoTIFF driver, I think the code could be reworked so that
collecting the coordinate system is done only when GetProjectionRef() is
called. The .aux.xml file could be opened only when GetProjectionRef(),
GetGeoTransform() or GetMetadata() are called.
* since GDAL 1.6.0, the GDAL VRT driver can avoid opening the underlying
datasets if the SourceProperties elements is defined for each SimpleSource.
This is done by the gdalbuildvrt driver. So, opening a VRT dataset should be
really quick. The underlying datasets are opened only when real data must be
read from them.

Currently, one area where we cannot differ the processing is the instanciation
of raster bands. The GetRasterBand() method in GDALDataset is not virtual, so
they must be instanciated at the dataset opening. But this is probably only
an issue for datasets with millions of bands.

Best regards,

Even