[gdal-dev] more commands, less utilities

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Apr 24 12:22:56 EDT 2009

> Upon reflection, I think we should congregate these utilities into a
> single utility -- gdaldem (I'm totally flexible on the name -- and
> have each be a separate operation within that rather than
> proliferating five more GDAL utilities.
  -- http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2640

I like the idea of gdaldem with commands rather than seperate utilities.

For some time I've considered proprosing that we do the same with gdal
so that `merge`, `warp`, `translate`, etc. become commands to a single
gdal utility. Ditto for ogr. I've hesitated because there is so much
inertia (and I'd be asking others to do work that I can't!).

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment