[gdal-dev] Re: Joining a shape file with a DBF file with ogr2ogr

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Apr 29 16:50:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

  I have a fairly large shape file (shp, shx, dbf) and a fairly small
DBF file.  I would like to do a join on a specific field, with the
expected result being a small shape file (same number of records as my
small dbf file).  There are a couple of ways from what I can see that I
could achieve this. one would be:
    - do a LEFT JOIN with the small dbf. This would result in creating a
big shape file (+ attributes from the small dbf). I could then do
another ogr2ogr and trim the data based on empty records.
  Although this works well, It is a bit slow for my needs (even if both
DBFs are indexed).

   Could some one suggest a better way of achieving this?

Thanks

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca